Furious Angels

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Crisis Averted

Trevlac
    Trevlac
    Admin

Female Number of posts : 686
    Experience :
    Crisis Averted Left_bar0 / 500 / 50Crisis Averted Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class:
    Life:
    Crisis Averted Left_bar10/10Crisis Averted Empty_bar  (10/10)
    Weave:
    Crisis Averted Left_bar5/5Crisis Averted Empty_bar  (5/5)

Crisis Averted Empty Crisis Averted

Post by Trevlac Thu May 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Finally, I wheezed, a gas station. The bright green sunburst logo of a nearby gas station's illuminated sign drifted above me. My aching thighs pulsated in protest as I stomped lazily onto the pavement from the moist grass. I shouldn't have walked all the way to the mall in flip-flops. But now I could grab some flavored waters and sandwiches for my pitiful hotel room refrigerator. I was sick of eating whatever I had saved from Perkin's Family Restaurant earlier that day and getting tired of paying so much for food. A pretty 30-something Russian woman sat on bleachers outside. Like a startled chipmunk, she scurried back inside as I entered the gas station. Apparently she was the attendant.

I poked around, dropping my bag of new books and hair dryer that I bought at the mall, to show I wasn't trying any funny business. I grabbed my loot and made my way to the front counter. As I was paying, a thug gangsta looking young man was speaking pleadingly to a Russian guy who was presumably her boyfriend or husband. He was on a laptop looking something up. I heard the words "Stranded here" and "tried to call the police". I could have grabbed my bag and made off back to my icy cold hotel room but curiosity held me firmly in place.

"What's going on man?" I asked the guy. He was probably my age or slightly younger. He said "Man, you couldn't even believe me if I told you. It's just some strange shit."
    I smiled. "Try me."
    "Man I don't know. That girl, man. She.." he cut off and leaned back further. His ball cap was on sideways.
    "Something to do with a girl?" I kept him talking. This sounded weird.
    "Here's I am stranded in Dayton, Ohio. This crazy woman man. I had to bail." he was speaking very brokenly. Not due to his usage of ebonics, but it seemed like he couldn't find the words. "I called the police. They say there's nothing they can do. I have to find a bus station they said."
    I interjected, "So much for To Protect and Serve, huh." he nodded.

I asked, "How much cash you got on you?"
    "All I got's thirty bucks, man." he replied
    "Tell you what, let's get you a bus ticket and I'll pay the difference." I said. He looked like he didn't believe me but he gave me a brotherly embrace anyway.
    The Russian guy couldn't understand the words on Greyhound's website. So I took the laptop and looked up the fare. Dayton Ohio to Detroit Michigan was $50 one way. Perfect.
    The ATM in that station was broken, so we headed outside, our mission was the Shell station across the street.

"What's your name", I asked him.
    "Ira. Ira Kendricks." he said, shaking my hand. He was gentle, kept his hands out of his pockets and his clothes were clean. He wasn't a gangsta, he was a normal guy genuinely stranded in a strange city.
    "I'm Davis."
    "Davis, man you're amazing." he popped.
    As we crossed the street I asked for a rundown of the story. Ira told me that he was with a guy and a girl driving from Detroit to here in Ohio and they were normal until suddenly they start saying crazy stuff and looking at him weird. He stopped himself from saying just what led him to what he did next, but Ira had bolted from the car at a red light to escape with his life. They ended up being part of a mind control cult and he genuinely thought they were going to kill him.

The story was fascinating. I had already entered my PIN code into the ATM and withdrew forty bucks. Well more than he needed, but a guy's gotta eat. And you can't have zero money on a five hour bus drive anyway. I hand him the bills without even looking at them. They weren't ever mine, they were his from the moment I earned them. He pulled me into another hug and we exchanged genuine polites. He said "God Bless you, man" and went back to the other station. The Russian guy was going to give him a lift to the nearest bus station.

I ran for my hotel room, the key didn't work in the lock. I chuckled a bit and went to the main desk. He said my phone probably deprogrammed it. He fixed the card and I was able to unlock my door. Ahhh, I had finally reached the icy cool room at last. I pulled off my sweaty shirt and threw it on the bed. I went to call my best friend Matt and tell him what an adventure I had. Heh, the phone deprogramme..what? where the fuck was my phone. I had the clip-on case but no phone inside. I searched all over my room but no phone. I got online and asked my friend Rachel to call it, with a sense of urgency. She said it just rang to voicemail.

Fearing the worst, i put my shirt and shoes back on and sprinted out the door. I ran across two streets, full-speed, narrowly missing cars. I arrived back at the gas station with the Russian girl. I told her my phone was missing and she looked scared. She let me call it from her cell. I heard ringing and then my own familiar voice as the voicemail got it. I asked her to call her boyfriend who was taking Ira back and see if he heard a ringing just then. If I had dropped it when I walked with Ira, then maybe he found it and didn't know where I was staying so kept it in case I ever called looking for it.

No luck. No ringing at all. I called my phone provider. Her bullshit sweet attitude was wrecked in a hurry when I frantically asked to locate the GPS device. She said it's impossible to track my phone unless it dials 9-1-1. Lying whore. I am a data forensics expert. I know that all phones are trackable at all times, even when off. I bolted from the station into the night. I just HAD to be fucking night time when I'm looking for a small dark object!

I backtracked a mile and a half. If it fell out I knew where it would be. But I had to study the shadows under the overpass just in case. Suddenly every fucking rock in existence looked like my phone. I staved off judgment and worry until I knew for sure if it was lost or stolen. I didn't want to think Ira took it. I wanted to think I dropped it. So I set it aside and focused on the night ground.

The ledge drew near. It was about seven feet high and then there was a sharp decline. I had jumped it about an hour ago. And there next to the wall was my fucking phone.

I am an ass.
    Ordin
    Ordin
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 432
    Experience :
    Crisis Averted Left_bar4 / 504 / 50Crisis Averted Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator/Judge
    Life:
    Crisis Averted Left_bar160/200Crisis Averted Empty_bar  (160/200)
    Weave:
    Crisis Averted Left_bar30/30Crisis Averted Empty_bar  (30/30)

Crisis Averted Empty Re: Crisis Averted

Post by Ordin Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 pm

while you're right that phones can be tracked even when off, really only the police can. the simple customer service rep for a major phone company isn't going to have the ability to pinpoint where on the grid it is. even if they could, it wouldn't help the person who's trying to find it. when i worked for sprint people called in all the time wanting me to track their phone like i was an extra in an episode of 24. ain't gonna happen.
    Toothpick
    Toothpick

Male Number of posts : 273
    Experience :
    Crisis Averted Left_bar2 / 502 / 50Crisis Averted Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator
    Life:
    Crisis Averted Left_bar166/166Crisis Averted Empty_bar  (166/166)
    Weave:
    Crisis Averted Left_bar18/18Crisis Averted Empty_bar  (18/18)

Post by Toothpick Fri May 08, 2009 9:32 pm

Beautifully written. I feel like I was right their in the middle of all of it.
    Trevlac
    Trevlac
    Admin

Experience :

Ultimate End character
    Class:
    Life:
    Weave:

Post by Trevlac Sat May 09, 2009 6:43 am

It's a 100% true story.
    Ordin
    Ordin
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 432
    Experience :
    Crisis Averted Left_bar4 / 504 / 50Crisis Averted Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator/Judge
    Life:
    Crisis Averted Left_bar160/200Crisis Averted Empty_bar  (160/200)
    Weave:
    Crisis Averted Left_bar30/30Crisis Averted Empty_bar  (30/30)

Post by Ordin Sat May 09, 2009 10:10 pm

why the fuck were you up at 6:43 on fa of all things?
    Trevlac
    Trevlac
    Admin

Experience :

Ultimate End character
    Class:
    Life:
    Weave:

Post by Trevlac Sun May 10, 2009 6:52 pm

I only got 3 hours of sleep that night for some reason. Couldn't get back to sleep.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm