Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator/Judge
    Life:
    160/200  (160/200)
    Weave:
    30/30  (30/30)

the Firmament

Post by Ordin on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 pm

The book had always enchanted me. Even as a whelp, when my father took me to the Jung-Chesterton museum in Massachusetts, I would insist we go to the section in which it was displayed first. I never expressed direct interest in it to him, but I would often find myself gazing longingly at its leather bound cover, face pressed against the plate glass that shielded it from the damaging oxygenation of the outside world. I lost many nights sleep over the tome; what, exactly, was contained within its bindings? I had nothing to go on except the plaque on its case which read "Ancient Sumerian text c. 2nd ml. b.c.e." and, under that, "only a partial translation has ever been made, seems to describe rituals, hymns, and nam-šub or "incantations."

That little bit of information kept me going through the years. I would scour the plaque for any intrinsic meaning that may have been lost upon me. As I grew older I would come alone perhaps two or three times a week and peruse the facility, discussing the history of various pieces with the employees until closing. The curator became quite familiar with me during this time, often calling me down to examine new artifacts or discuss various antiquities, of which I quickly became well versed in. By way of some strange fear, I rarely let my pathological interest in the book see light. I did, once, ask him about the contents of the manuscript. The response I received forbade me from bringing it up again:

When asked, the curator's eyes seemed to take on a glassy pallor, he answered curtly that not much was known about it, since even in this age, very little was known about ancient Sumerian languages, before quickly changing the subject. This seemed very peculiar to me, or it may have been my absolute interest in the script that engendered his earnest reaction with some mysterious secrecy, but the occurrence stuck with me, and sparked an ever-growing fervor in me.

I did eventually decide to obtain a job at the museum, where I worked a variety of positions, mostly clerical ones; logging data, processing shipments, answering telephones, occasionally lending a hand to the staff when research was underway. The pay was negligible, but I loved every moment of it. I absorbed everything. I wanted to know everything relating to archeology and ethnology.

Even the death of my father couldn't stop my academic pursuits. He passed when I was twenty-one, leaving me a rather considerable inheritance. I had no brothers or sisters, and my dear mother had evaporated when I was still young of consumption. I didn't have many friends, either. Besides my father I was invariably alone throughout most of my life. Despite this, I was not overwrought with sadness at his passing. He had lived a full, honest, and well-respected life. In fact, I saw it more as gift in disguise. With the money, and a few calls from the director of the Jung-Chesterton museum, I was able to obtain entrance to Harvard University.

The director was extremely pleased to see me go. Not because he wished to be rid of me, no; he understood that there was greatness that lay in my future as an archeologist.

Last edited by Ordin on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

Good day prospective employer, I am both smarter than a hatful of periwinkles and prettier than two bags of smashed assholes.
    Priest Gaven
    Trevlac
    Admin

Female Number of posts : 686
    Experience :
    0 / 500 / 50

Ultimate End character
    Class:
    Life:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Weave:
    5/5  (5/5)

Re: the Firmament

Post by Trevlac on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm

MOAR. Why the FUCK did you stop writing, fucking moar

Male Number of posts : 15
    Experience :
    0 / 500 / 50

Post by sarcasanova on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:51 am

This made me salivate. Write more or I will suffocate you in your sleep.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:06 am