Furious Angels

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

The FCC did something GOOD

Toothpick
    Toothpick

Male Number of posts : 273
    Experience :
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar2 / 502 / 50The FCC did something GOOD Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator
    Life:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar166/166The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (166/166)
    Weave:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar18/18The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (18/18)

The FCC did something GOOD Empty The FCC did something GOOD

Post by Toothpick Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:34 pm

I am flabbergasted that I just typed that sentence.

"Network neutrality (also net neutrality, Internet neutrality) is a principle proposed for residential broadband networks and potentially for all networks. A neutral broadband network is one that is free of restrictions on content, sites, or platforms, on the kinds of equipment that may be attached, and on the modes of communication allowed, as well as one where communication is not unreasonably degraded by other communication streams"-Wikipedia

In other words, information is free. Telecoms can't create different Internet plans that limit what sites and software you use.

The best (but still pretty shitty) analogy I can think of is this; Imagine you go to the gas station. You put gas in your pickup, you pay for it. You drive off. That's standard internet use. You buy bandwidth, you use it, all is good. Now imagine you bring a gasoline powered generator with you to a gas station, and let that represent a website that's not in the plan of a telecom company. They refuse to let you use the bandwidth/gasoline you BOUGHT to go to that website. Mr. Generator gets no gas/that website reads 404.

"But good sirs", you say"I am considerably less than the bandwidth you've given me/total amount of gas I'm able to buy here at a time even while doing this. Surely you jest?"

"Nay" spake the telecoms/gas station owner. "That website/generator doesn't pay us/um, this metaphor is falling apart, er, shit. It's impossible to connect accordingly.

So, the FCC is going to make that illegal....

The FCC did something GOOD _keith-gif
    IN AMERICA!
    Ordin
    Ordin
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 432
    Experience :
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar4 / 504 / 50The FCC did something GOOD Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator/Judge
    Life:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar160/200The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (160/200)
    Weave:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar30/30The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (30/30)

The FCC did something GOOD Empty Re: The FCC did something GOOD

Post by Ordin Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 pm

The FCC did something GOOD Jg
    This is the most beautiful man in the world to me right now.

I was pissed that anybody would even take the idea of internet censorship seriously. Especially in America. Sure, the Chinese find ways around it, but they're Communists.

This is America.
    Kaen
    Kaen

Male Number of posts : 101
    Experience :
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar10 / 5010 / 50The FCC did something GOOD Right_bar

Post by Kaen Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:20 pm

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/09/fcc-neutrality-mistake/

the regulations are bad because what if companies didnt follow them ohno we might have to do something and that would be a bother
    Trevlac
    Trevlac
    Admin

Female Number of posts : 686
    Experience :
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar0 / 500 / 50The FCC did something GOOD Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class:
    Life:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar10/10The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (10/10)
    Weave:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar5/5The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (5/5)

Post by Trevlac Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Wired is the most biased source of payed-off tech pluggers on the internet. Besides IGN.
    Toothpick
    Toothpick

Experience :
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar2 / 502 / 50The FCC did something GOOD Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Life:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar166/166The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (166/166)
    Weave:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar18/18The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (18/18)

Post by Toothpick Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Kaen wrote:http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/09/fcc-neutrality-mistake/

the regulations are bad because what if companies didnt follow them ohno we might have to do something and that would be a bother
    that made me lol hard.

WE CERTAINLY DON'T HAVE A MASSIVE FBI/POLICE FORCE DO ENFORCE THE LAW HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Ordin
    Ordin
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 432
    Experience :
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar4 / 504 / 50The FCC did something GOOD Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class: Gladiator/Judge
    Life:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar160/200The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (160/200)
    Weave:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar30/30The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (30/30)

Post by Ordin Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:58 am

The battle in Seattle. Except all over the USA. And fat nerds instead of athletic squatters and anarchists.
    Toothpick
    Toothpick

Experience :

Ultimate End character
    Life:
    Weave:

Post by Toothpick Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:24 am

And it actually, y'know, worked.
    Trevlac
    Trevlac
    Admin

Female Number of posts : 686
    Experience :
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar0 / 500 / 50The FCC did something GOOD Right_bar

Ultimate End character
    Class:
    Life:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar10/10The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (10/10)
    Weave:
    The FCC did something GOOD Left_bar5/5The FCC did something GOOD Empty_bar  (5/5)

Post by Trevlac Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Isn't that BIZARRE?

Fuck, let's just start protesting and sitting-in everything we hate. This shit proves that America is NOT fucked. God dammit, I can't believe I'm saying this but I think we should write to our senators around the US that agree with us on stuff and have them step up to the plate.
    Toothpick
    Toothpick

Experience :

Ultimate End character
    Life:
    Weave:

Post by Toothpick Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:05 pm

"Money no longer an instrument of debt"
    "Corporations stripped of special rights, thousands of CEO's sent to prison for human rights abuses."
    "Same-sex marriage upheld on grounds that the legal status of adopted/unadopted children the same, thus same-sex marriage a legitimate end to promote familial stability"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:12 pm